School of Digital, Technologies and Arts
The mission of the School of Digital, Technologies and Arts is to develop the artists, designers, engineers, actors, writers, cyber specialists, broadcasters, music producers, film and media producers, computer scientists, games developers, esports managers, poets, historians, diplomats, civic leaders, teachers, entrepreneurs of the future.
We offer leading courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level to prepare the next generation of digitally native and artistically focused professionals for the workplace.
Our wide-ranging portfolio within the departments of Art and Design, Computing, Engineering, Games and Visual Effects and Media and Performance offer opportunities to study subjects that span and exciting range of courses with a transdisciplinary focus on the creative arts and digital technologies. Professional short courses, higher and degree apprenticeships and research degrees complete our ethos of providing flexible routes to study.
Many of our staff are known as active practitioners in their field. Employability is at the forefront of our work, and we have world leading facilities to offer hands-on experience. Our staff make sure our students have as much exposure to their chosen career paths as possible. Visiting speakers, educational visits, industry briefs and placements enhance academic lectures and stimulating workshop environments.
Our students also benefit from excellent academic resources and well-equipped studio spaces and laboratories at our Stoke and London campuses. Students have the chance to showcase their work at annual public and industry events such as New Designers, GradEX and the Art and Design Degree Show.
Examples of opportunities available include:
- modelling character movement using a Vicon motion capture system in games design
- presenting in a fully equipped TV newsroom
- using Cisco labs with accreditation opportunities on networking courses
- undertaking ethical hacking projects in our closed system Cyber laboratory
- engineering the next generation of motorsport vehicles in our autosport workshops
- developing acting and theatre craft in the performance centre
- recording music and sound in our £11m Cadman Studios
- creating visual masterpieces in our art and design studios
- designing and building future technical and digital conceptions in our Smartzone